My biggest tips for sex toy newbies!
Toys shown in this video:
The question I probably get most often when it comes to sex toys is what do I recommend for a beginner. Someone who’s never used a toy before or has only used shitty ones, and especially someone on a budget.
Well, you’ve come to the right place!
If you’re new to the big crazy world of sex toys, picking a good toy can be a daunting task. Definitely. There are so many different kinds, different shapes and materials and textures, vibrating toys, thrusting toys, toys you can put in your ass, toys you can’t put in your ass. And you might not even know what you like yet!
So here are my biggest general tips for sex toy newbies!
- This might not be feasible for everyone, but one of the best things you can do is find a good sex shop. An actual, physical shop with a wide selection of body-safe options to browse in person and a friendly, knowledgeable staff that can help you pick the right product for you. I’m going to link the Redhead Bedhead’s list of Superhero Sex Shops down in the description to hopefully help you find one near you.
- While you don’t want to drop too much money on something you’re not sure about, don’t just buy a toy because it’s cheap, because in this industry that’s pretty much synonymous with weak vibrations, sketchy materials, and liability to break within the month. If you’re on a budget, I just did a blog post on my top 10 quality, body-safe toys under $30. I’ll link that in the description and in the cards annotation.
- Get something versatile. If you’re a toy newbie, you probably don’t know what you like yet, so look for something that offers you a few different options. Vibrators that can be used both internally and externally, or with the vibrations turned off as a dildo. Vibrators that have both steady vibration and vibration patterns, or different attachments or sleeves that can change the sensations. Dildos with wide bases so they’re vagina, anus, and harness friendly. Double ended dildos. You get the idea.
- Read reviews! And not just the ones on the retailer’s site. A lot of people don’t know that there is a large and active sex toy blogging community and that Googling “insert toy name here reviews” will probably lead you to lots of folks with discerning tastes and helpful opinions. Or you can even start your search on a reviewer’s site; they probably have a page with all their favorites, so see what they like and go from there. If you’re looking for good reviewers, there’s a blogroll of my faves on my website.
- Buy body-safe! Please. Please please please. Your body will thank you. If you don’t know what that means, I have a whole video on the problems with toxic and porous sex toys.
So those are my top tips for buying your first sex toy! I hope it’s helpful for some of you, and if you have any other tips or questions, definitely leave them down in the comments!
Thanks for watching, and I’ll see you next time!